Breast augmentation has been a long-standing, popular solution towards improving one’s body image, restoring the breasts size and shape into a more symmetrical, aesthetically-pleasing form. When it comes to enhancing the breasts, this procedure can be more than just an improvement – it can transform a person’s entire self-image and impact their lives in dramatic ways. Breast augmentation has become a relatively accessible procedure, but for many women considering this alteration, it can be a difficult and challenging task to decide on. If you’re considering breast augmentation, then we’re here to outline some key reasons and features of the procedure for helping you decide whether breast augmentation is right for you.
Reasons to Get a Breast Augmentation
Most often, surgeons will assess your candidacy based on your medical history, your ideal goals, and how the procedure will impact the body. As a patient, it’s essential to fully understand your reasons before proceeding, as these reasons are vital towards having a successful procedure. For many women, the reasons vary from simple aesthetics to medical needs, with some of those reasons including:
- Breast Asymmetry: For those with asymmetry noticeable, breast augmentation can create a more balanced look.
- Small Breasts: For some women, having larger, balanced breasts can be a cosmetic choice.
- Mastectomies: After battling breast cancer, losing breasts can result in a loss of femininity and self-esteem.
- Sagging Breasts: Significant weight loss and pregnancy can contribute to sagging skin, loss of volume, and an overall flabby appearance.
- Self-Confidence: Many women often choose breast augmentation because it can help improve their confidence and self-image.
Communicating With Your Surgeon
Through any consultation, you’ll be asked about your reasons for considering breast augmentation. With the numerous options presented, it’s essential to advocate for your needs, what you’re comfortable with, and how you believe having a breast augmentation will improve your life. For many women, achieving the best results comes with properly communicating what they need, what their surgeon can perform, understanding what the procedure contains, and discussing the operative decisions that impact the surgery’s overall success. Some tips to help speak to your surgeon include:
- Background Checks: Asking your surgeon about their experience performing breast surgery can provide you with a great deal of assurance when looking at the surgery outcome. Understanding the areas they specialize in can give you a good idea of how the outcome will appear and how they can help you with future surgeries and checkups.
- Personal History: Talk to your surgeon about your previous surgeries, how your body has responded to those surgeries, and other relevant medical histories that could impact your candidacy for breast augmentation. Some medical conditions, such as diabetes, can disqualify you from the surgery due to the extensive amount of blood flow needed to encourage healing.
- Procedure Techniques: Your surgeon’s techniques have a heavy impact on the surgical outcome. Understanding your surgery’s details and what the recovery time looks like will provide you with a better outlook for the surgery.
- Reasonable Expectations: Lastly, setting reasonable expectations for the overall look and appearance will help put you more at ease for the surgery. Breast augmentation is meant to aid people’s self-image and confidence and rely heavily on expecting less than perfect outcomes to make it successful.